Hello Parents and Happy Fourth of July,
We have some exciting activities plan this month for our children in all age groups. Our preschool children will have in house field trips this month which will consist of Science Experiment “Dino Daze” and “Spin Art.” We will host a Soccer Camp on the week of July 6 – 10th and would love for your child to learn from some of the top professionals in sports. During the week of July 6-10, Splash Day will be changed to accommodate the soccer camp, so please watch out for posting in your child’s classroom and emails.
If you are looking for a way to have some fun, but don’t have a sitter no worries, we will host our parents night out on July 17th for $25 per child. This way mom and dad can go out and have fun without worrying about the kiddos. The hours for Parents Night Out are from 6:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.
Once again, thank you for choosing to spend your summer with us here at Merryhill Frisco.
Keisha Braggs, Principal
Alice Dawson, Asst. Principal
A Message From Our Education Department:
25 Books to Enjoy with Your Child
– Recommended Reading Adventures for Summer –
Whatever your child’s age, it is important to continue shared reading experiences even during summer. Reading together frequently has been shown to have a profound positive influence on vocabulary acquisition, speech development and listening skills.
Below are some age-appropriate books to read with your child this summer.
• Welcome Summer by Jill Ackerman & Nancy Davis
• Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book by Rod Campbell
• Splish, Splash, Baby! by Karen Katz
• Llama Llama Sand and Sun by Anna Dewdney
• Baby Loves Summer! By Karen Katz
TODDLERS (ages 1-2)
• Maisy Grows a Garden by Lucy Cousins
• Monkey Ono by J. C. Phillips
• 1, 2 at the Zoo by Sue DiCicco
• Get Happy by Malachy Doyle & Caroline Uff
• The Pout-Pout Fish by Deborah Diesen & Dan Hanna
BEGINNERS (ages 2-3)
• Flashlight by Lizi Boyd
• I’m a Shark by Bob Shea
• Little Owl’s Day by Divya Srinivasan
• Biscuit Visits the Big City by Alyssa Satin Capucilli
• Island Counting 1, 2, 3 by Frane Lessac
INTERMEDIATES (ages 3-4)
• Mouses’s First Summer by Lauren Thompson
• Curious George Goes to the Beach by H.A. Rey
• Over in the Ocean by Marianne Berkes
• Commotion in the Ocean by Giles Andreae
• The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear by Don Wood
PRE-K/PRE-K 2 (ages 4-5)
• Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey
• How to Hide an Octopus by Ruth Heller
• Berenstain Bears and Too Much Vacation by Stan and Jan Berenstain
• Froggy Goes to Hawaii by Jonathan London
• P.J. Funnybunny Camps Out by Marilyn Sadler
By experiencing a literacy-rich environment, both at school and at home, our students are prepared to become successful, confident readers in elementary school and beyond.
– Lauren Starnes, PhD- Director of Early Childhood Education