Letter From the Principal
Dear Merryhill Families,
It is a joy to have the opportunity to work with you as I start my new position at Merryhill Elementary. My plan is to build upon the strong foundation that Mrs. Theresa Gotay has left for us, so that we may grow our community and subsequently increase opportunity for our students. With Mrs. Kelly Orton moving into an Assistant Principal position, I am confident that the essence of what has made Merryhill Elementary School a warm and welcoming place will continue.
I have had many parents asking if we plan to make changes for the upcoming school year. There will be some changes:
- We will be creating an Innovation Lab, which will give the students a space, stocked with many materials and resources, where they can creatively explore problem solving, pose questions for fellow classmates, and work together to foster critical thinking in a relevant context. In conjunction with this, we will be incorporating a Genius Hour, which is a time set aside for students to be creative and pursue knowledge and skills in their own areas of interest.
- Our technology classes will be reinvented and will include typing, podcast and video production, introductory video game production, coding and robotics. The goal is to outfit our students with a tool-kit of technological skills and abilities so that they may use them across the content area.
- Merryhill has adopted a new, hands-on, largely project-based STEM curriculum which will be implemented beginning in the 2017-18 school year.
- Our art classes will be doing some digital art.
- We will have a monthly elective, where students can choose which activity they would like to do. Our teachers will each select an activity to lead for a semester and students will be able to work with children from other grade levels toward a common goal. Elective options may include origami, knitting, zentangle, poetry, sculpture, yoga, cooking, gardening, and film-making.
- We will be starting a student government next year, which will be headed up by one of our teachers.
I have spent the last month with your students and have enjoyed getting to know them and having the opportunity to meet many of you. I would like you to know that I am coming to Merryhill with fifteen years of experience in education, seven of which were as a building-level administrator. In addition to holding two masters degrees in education, one in administration and the other in curriculum and instruction, I hold a masters in biology. My STEAM experience is broad, working with students ranging from preschool through college, and I have had the distinct pleasure of leading student groups who have sent their science work to space.
I am a firm believer that education is a lifelong process and knowing that, it is important to me that your child develops a love for learning. I am excited to be a part of such a warm, committed community and I look forward to seeing you and your children in the fall!
Principal, Merryhill Elementary-Summerlin
Important Upcoming Dates
6/8/17, 8:30AM-5th grade commencement ceremony
6/8/17: early dismissal, last day of school
6/12/17: first day of summer camp