A Message From the Principal:
Welcome to the month of August! Wow! What an amazing Summer we are having so far!
Thank you for your participation in our fun July events which included our Fabulous Family Food Truck event.
Your children have transitioned with ease to their new classrooms and are very excited about all of the fun projects and experiences that their new teachers have planned for them. Please take some time to explore your child’s new classroom, meet the teachers and let your child give you a tour, which will boost their self-esteem.
Each week you will see many familiar faces returning from their summer breaks as well as meet many that are new to the Merryhill Family. This is a time to welcome change with our eyes and hearts wide open and enjoy the new friendships and important bonds between the children that are forming. Each day they develop and grow in leaps and bounds and it is important to take time and embrace these experiences through the eyes of your children.
We wish you an amazing month!
Tammy Wells- Principal
Special Events/Theme Days* (Every Tuesday is Merryhill Spirit Day -Wear a Merryhill Shirt**)
- Saturday, August 3rd- Open House for future enrolled Families
- Wednesday, August 7th – Rock Star Dress Up Day
- Friday, August 9th – School Closed for Staff professional development Day
- Thursday, August 15th – Sports Dress Up Day
- Wednesday, August 21st – Princess/Superhero Day
- Thursday- August 29th- Hawaiian dress Up Day & End of Summer Bubble Party & Luau at 10am
- Monday, September 2nd – School Closed for Labor Day
- *Events/Visitors will be added as they are confirmed. Please check the online calendar, e-mail reminders and the front window for events.
** Merryhill Spirit Shirts are now available for purchase $10 each!
School Closed for Professional Development Day: All Merryhill Schools will be closed on Friday, August 9th for our annual Staff Professional Development Day. This day is dedicated to the training and development of all Merryhill Staff. They will be attending our Professional Development Day training day with many new exiting ideas to share with the children and help keep learning alive in the classrooms.
Links 2 Home App Usage
We know that summer is a busy time for our families, and want to communicate school happenings as clearly as possible to ensure that no one is left out. Daily reports are sent via email each day, but our Links 2 Home app keeps all school communications in one place and is always accessible. The app also allows to you communicate absences to your child’s teacher, leave drop-off notes, and read teacher and administrative notes in detail.
If you’re not a current app user, we encourage you to visit the Apple App Store or Google Play Store to download the app today. You will need to login with the email address you use for Alma. Please let us know if you have issues logging into Links 2 Home!
Our students love spending time outdoors and we want to make sure we take ample advantage of the summer weather before it gets too hot. If your child is in the Toddler classroom and up, please make sure to provide the following items:
- Labeled bottle of sunscreen. If you send the aerosol kind, please send an additional cream version for your child’s face.
- Reusable water bottle with your child’s name on it
- Summer appropriate change of clothes
New Merryhill Spirit Shirts for Sale: Our new Merryhill Spirit Shirts have arrived and available for purchase at the front desk for $15 each. We currently have sizes 2T, 3T, 4T, XS and S.
Safety First: We would like to remind you of a few security measures that we need your assistance with in regards to school safety.
- It is extremely important that you sign your child in and out each day. This is a legal document verifying that your child was checked in and out of school for the day.
- Please make sure all doors close securely behind you when you leave a room or the building.
- Please refrain from exiting through the Emergency Exit Door to the parking lot. (We do not want the children to think it is okay to use this door.)
- Please do not give out your door code to anyone other than the primary people on your pick up list.
- Please do not allow “piggy backing” at the front door. If there is someone behind or in front of you that does not know the code, please ring the door bell, which is located above the key pad.
- If you know in advance that someone other than your normal approved designated pick up person will be picking up, please complete a Pick Up Notification Form at the front desk or call/e-mail us to notify us of the change.
- If you change your cell phone number, please update this on your child’s Emergency Card.
Parking Lot Safety: Please remember not to leave any valuables in your car (including your children) when entering our building or any other location. Please do not leave anything of value or that resembles a purse or bag in plain view in your car, for any amount of time! This includes your children!
Vacation Policy: I would like to take a moment to remind you of our Vacation Time Request Policy. We offer 1 week of Vacation Credit per school year. This year’s inclusive school year dates are July 1, 2019 thru June 30, 2020 This week is inclusive/reflective of your child’s schedule. We require 30 days advance notice to process the Vacation Request, which includes auditing the records to make sure a previous Vacation Credit has not been issued this school year. Please submit all vacation requests in writing or via e-mail a minimum of 30 days prior to your requested Vacation Time. Your child must be enrolled a minimum of 6 months to qualify for the Vacation Credit.
Change of Seasons: With the change of seasons please remember to update your child’s clothing in their cubbies. If they have difficulties keeping their jackets on while outside, we recommend bringing a pullover sweatshirt or sweater. Also please label all of their items so lost items can be returned to their owners. All children are required to have a fitted sheet for their nap mats as well as a blanket. The sheets and blankets must be taken home each Friday and laundered and then returned on Monday.
Enrollment Schedules: Our 5 full day schedule gives your child access to every event at our school, and we encourage our students to attend school on a 5 day a week program to gain the highest benefit from our Links to Learning curriculum. Switching days, so your child may participate in special activities or events may not always be accommodated. If you have previously signed up for a part time schedule and would like to increase your schedule, please notify the office as soon as possible. Spaces are limited!
Flu Season and our Illness Policy: As you know the flu season seems to be never ending this year. I wanted to remind you of Merryhill’s illness policies as well as some tips and guidance for sick children (and adults of any age). Please help us by notifying us when your child or a member of your household has been diagnosed or has symptoms of an illness so we can be aware and pro-active on our end. – Thank you for working with us to keep everyone in our Merryhill Community safe and healthy! We are being vigilant about our cleaning and disinfection practices in every classroom and all common areas.
On Time Tuition Payments / Late Payment Fees / Payment Options: I would like to thank all of you for paying your Tuition each week in advance. As you are all aware, Tuition payments are due at the beginning of each week. Any payments received after your child’s first day of attendance each week will be charged an additional late fee of $25. To save you time and the headache of having to remember your checkbook every Monday, it is now possible to set up an automatic payment program. This can be set up online through ALMA or through us. Please speak with Ms. Tammy, Ms. Pauline or Ms. Nadia and they will assist you in registering for this convenient program.
We Are a Nut-Free School: Please do not send your child to school with items that contain nuts. We will have to return the items to you at the end of the day. Thank you for being considerate of our children who have nut allergies and working with us to keep our school safe for everyone.
From Our Education Department: