A Message From the Principal:
Welcome to the Fall Season!
The month of October was a whirlwind of fun filled events and activities. I would like to personally thank all of you for your active participation in our program. From the Read for the Record Event and Scholastic Book Fair, fundraisers and silly dress up days, we are so happy that you are an active part of the Merryhill Family. Our Trunk or Treat event was an amazing success. Thank you for your creativity in decorating your trunks as well as your participation in entertaining the children and helping them stay safe during this special activity. This year’s Trunk or Treat Event was so very impressive. Thank you all for participating in voting for your favorite trunks and door decorations. A special congratulations to Pre-K A for their winning door decorations and the 3 parent trunk winners. Beginner B and Pre-K C were the happy recipient of an ice cream treat for having the most Mixed Bag Fundraiser participants. Thank you all for your active participation and for making Merryhill Preschool your school of choice.
Our big event for the month of November will be our Friendship Feast on Wednesday, November 20thth. It is a pot-luck lunch in which the children bring finger-food items to share with their friends. A sign-up sheet is now posted on your classroom door.
And yes, back by popular demand…Parent’s Night Out will be held on Friday, December 6th!
Many of you will be taking time off this month and next to spend the Holidays with your loved ones. Please review our Vacation Credit Policy and Request Process below….this is completely separate from the sign-up sheets /schedules that will be posted on the classroom doors.
To help us plan activities and staffing accordingly, we will be posting sign-up sheets on the doors for you to indicate if your children will be out for any time during the holidays, but please note this is only an indicator of your schedule. The Tuition Charges do not change for the holidays/ closures and by marking your child out on the form it is simply indicating that they are not going to be there on their normally scheduled day.
The holidays are just around the corner. My wish for you is to take time out each day to give those you love a big hug and savor all of the wonderful memories that you make.
Please read below to find out details about our November events.
Thank you for being a very important part of the Merryhill Family!
Tammy Wells- Principal
Special Events/Theme Days* (Every Tuesday is Merryhill Spirit Day -Wear a Merryhill Shirt**)
- Friday, November 1st – Pajama Day
- November 4th-8th – Scholastic Book Fair
- Thursday, November 7th – Read for the Record Event
- Friday, November 8th– Wear Red, White and Blue in honor of Veteran’s Day
- Monday, November 11th – School Closed in observance of Veteran’s Day
- Wednesday, November 13th– World kindness Day w/ a special treat for parents.
- Saturday, November 16th – Open House for Future Enrolled Families 10am-1pm
- Tuesday, November 26th – “Giving Tuesday” – Book Drive for Pediatric Ward
- Wednesday, November 20th – Classroom “Friendship Feast” Potluck Lunch-11am
- November 28th & 29th – Shool Closed for Thanksgiving Break
- Wednesday, December 4th – Silly Sweater Day
- Friday, December 6th – Parent’s Night Out 6-930 PM
- Monday, December 9th – Silent Auction Display & Bidding Begins
- Saturday, December 14th – Santa Pancake Breakfast 8-10am (Come enjoy breakfast, take a picture with Santa and bring a book to donate to the Pediatric Ward at St. Joseph’s Medical Center)
- Saturday, December 14th – Silent Auction Finale
- December 24th & 25th – School Closed for Christmas Break
- Tuesday, December 31st – School closes @ noon – “Noon” Year’s Eve
- Wednesday, January 1st, 2020 – School Closed- Happy New Year!
- *Events/Visitors will be added as they are confirmed. Please check the online calendar, e-mail reminders and the front window for events.
** Merryhill Spirit Shirts are now available for purchase $10 each!
Friendship Feasts: Classroom Friendship Feasts on Wednesday, November 20th : This is a potluck lunch for your children to bring finger food items to share and celebrate with their friends….requests may vary according to classroom age and customs. Please check on your child’s classroom door to sign up to bring an item for this special “FEAST”.
Parent’s Night Out: Thank you for your interest and Participation in our Parent’s Night Out events. Our next Parent’s Night Out is scheduled for Friday, December 6th from 6-9:30 pm. Parent’s Night Out is an opportunity for you to enjoy a night out while the children enjoy a special night with us at school. Dinner, a movie and fun filled activities will be provided. $25 per child / $15 for each additional sibling. Spaces are available on a first come first serve basis. Advance Payment is requested. 24 hr advance cancellation notice is required.
Links 2 Home App Usage:
We know that it is a busy time for our families, and want to communicate school happenings as clearly as possible to ensure that no one is left out. Daily reports are sent via email each day, but our Links 2 Home app keeps all school communications in one place and is always accessible. The app also allows to you communicate absences to your child’s teacher, leave drop-off notes, and read teacher and administrative notes in detail.
If you’re not a current app user, we encourage you to visit the Apple App Store or Google Play Store to download the app today. You will need to login with the email address you use for Alma. Please let us know if you have issues logging into Links 2 Home!
Safety First: We would like to remind you of a few security measures that we need your assistance with in regards to school safety.
- It is extremely important that you sign your child in and out each day. This is a legal document verifying that your child was checked in and out of school for the day.
- Please make sure all doors close securely behind you when you leave a room or the building.
- Please refrain from exiting through the Emergency Exit Door to the parking lot. (We do not want the children to think it is okay to use this door.)
- Please do not give out your door code to anyone other than the primary people on your pick up list.
- Please do not allow “piggy backing” at the front door. If there is someone behind or in front of you that does not know the code, please ring the door bell, which is located above the key pad.
- If you know in advance that someone other than your normal approved designated pick up person will be picking up, please complete a Pick Up Notification Form at the front desk or call/e-mail us to notify us of the change.
- If you change your cell phone number, please update this on your child’s Emergency Card.
Parking Lot Safety: Please remember not to leave any valuables in your car (including your children) when entering our building or any other location. Please do not leave anything of value or that resembles a purse or bag in plain view in your car, for any amount of time! This includes your children!
Vacation Policy: I would like to take a moment to remind you of our Vacation Time Request Policy. We offer 1 week of Vacation Credit per school year. This year’s inclusive school year dates are July 1, 2019 thru June 30, 2020 This week is inclusive/reflective of your child’s schedule. We require 30 days advance notice to process the Vacation Request, which includes auditing the records to make sure a previous Vacation Credit has not been issued this school year. Please submit all vacation requests in writing or via e-mail a minimum of 30 days prior to your requested Vacation Time. Your child must be enrolled a minimum of 6 months to qualify for the Vacation Credit.
Change of Seasons: With the change of seasons please remember to update your child’s clothing in their cubbies. If they have difficulties keeping their jackets on while outside, we recommend bringing a pullover sweatshirt or sweater. Also please label all of their items so lost items can be returned to their owners. All children are required to have a fitted sheet for their nap mats as well as a blanket. The sheets and blankets must be taken home each Friday and laundered and then returned on Monday.
Enrollment Schedules: Our 5 full day schedule gives your child access to every event at our school, and we encourage our students to attend school on a 5 day a week program to gain the highest benefit from our Links to Learning curriculum. Switching days, so your child may participate in special activities or events may not always be accommodated. If you have previously signed up for a part time schedule and would like to increase your schedule, please notify the office as soon as possible. Spaces are limited!
Flu Season and our Illness Policy: As you know the flu season seems to be never ending this year. I wanted to remind you of Merryhill’s illness policies as well as some tips and guidance for sick children (and adults of any age). Please help us by notifying us when your child or a member of your household has been diagnosed or has symptoms of an illness so we can be aware and pro-active on our end. – Thank you for working with us to keep everyone in our Merryhill Community safe and healthy! We are being vigilant about our cleaning and disinfection practices in every classroom and all common areas.
On Time Tuition Payments / Late Payment Fees / Payment Options: I would like to thank all of you for paying your Tuition each week in advance. As you are all aware, Tuition payments are due at the beginning of each week. Any payments received after your child’s first day of attendance each week will be charged an additional late fee of $25. To save you time and the headache of having to remember your checkbook every Monday, it is now possible to set up an automatic payment program. This can be set up online through ALMA or through us. Please speak with Ms. Tammy, Ms. Pauline or Ms. Nadia and they will assist you in registering for this convenient program.
We Are a Nut-Free School: Please do not send your child to school with items that contain nuts. We will have to return the items to you at the end of the day. Thank you for being considerate of our children who have nut allergies and working with us to keep our school safe for everyone.
From Our Education Department: