Hello Merryhill Parents,
After a very successful 1st meeting we are very excited about a fun and productive school year. Keep an eye on the school calendar for our PTOM meetings. Below is a link to our meeting minutes from our first meeting. We hope to see you at our next meeting.
Dear Merryhill Families,
Here are the Top 10 Reasons to get Involved:
1. Your child benefits.
When parents get connected to the school, children do better. Research shows children whose parents are involved get better grades, do better on tests and have fewer discipline problems at school.
2. We make a difference.
Our mission is to create the kind of school community where teachers and administrators can do their best work – and so can our children. We provide support for teachers in and out of the classroom. We provide resources they need. We help create learning opportunities for children. And we try to build the kind of supportive, caring atmosphere that makes school fun.
3. We pledge to honor your time constraints.
People are often reluctant to participate because they’re afraid they’ll get pulled into a black hole of never-ending time commitment. That won’t happen here. An hour or two a quarter really makes a difference. And we won’t push you to commit more than you want or are able to.
4. We have fun.
Volunteer work shouldn’t be drudgery. We accomplish a lot, and not everything we do is easy. But we know we’re not balancing the national debt, either. We don’t take ourselves too seriously, and we try to enjoy ourselves along the way whenever possible.
5. Meet nice people who share your concerns.
We all have a common bond. We care about creating the best possible educational experience for our children. We are neighbors and peers who share many of the same experience. And many friendships have developed as a result of these connections.
6. There’s a lot to be done.
Our help is needed more than ever to fill in the gaps with special supplies and events that enhance what our school already has and does.
7. We can match jobs to your interests and abilities.
The work we do covers a broad spectrum: filing and photocopying, planning and executing events, writing and editing, working directly with the children, managing a budget and cash flow, and lots more. We encourage creative ideas, and we’re thrilled to have people take on tasks that meet their skills and interest.
8. We’re welcoming.
To us, there are no “outsiders”. We are people who have come together to work toward common goals. We couldn’t be happier to have you join us in working toward those goals.
9. We’re about parent involvement, not fundraising.
In these times of tight budgets, parent groups everywhere are having to fill in the gaps, and so are we. But our number one goal is to get more parents connected to the school. That’s because more than 300 independent research studies show that building parent involvement in education is the number one thing we can do to create a great school and improve student performance.
10. This work is very rewarding.
It’s seeing the bright light of learning sparkle in a child’s eye. It’s seeing the smile that shows we’re making school a little more fun – and a child feel a little more comfortable in a learning environment. It’s learning that test scores have risen and knowing we played a role. There are lots of rewards, both big and small, for those who get involved. Won’t you join us?
Nicole LaPoint – President PTOM
Box Top Collection sheets have been put in all parent folders. Box Tops are a great way for us to earn money for the school from the things we buy. Typically we earn approximately $1,000 each year from them. Not all products have Box Top coupons on them and we don’t expect you to change your brands in order to get them. However, keep an eye out for them and remember to clip them because each one is worth 10 cents.
What do you have to do?
- Each collection sheet has space to glue or tape 10 coupons on it. The total of the coupons on each sheet must be 10 so watch out for coupons that are worth 2, 5 or other amounts and adjust accordingly. Double check the expiry date as we get nothing for expired coupons.
- Leave your filled collection sheets in the box in reception area. Totals for each family will be calculated each quarter, more frequently when we get to Field Day time. You can submit partially filled sheets at the end of quarter or hold them until the next quarter.
- The children who earn the most in each grade will get awarded a Free Dress Pass at End of Quarter Awards Assembly.
- You can also sign up to get discounts on key products and get awarded electronic points from some supermarkets such as Safeway. Collection Sheets are available on the PTOM Board in reception.
Any questions please contact Susie Lauderdale or Louise Weston.
Don’t forget to check the school calendar for upcoming family nights and events!